Monday, December 29, 2014

You're Covered in Ruins

How much pain can one person feel? And I don’t write this for your pity as I fully realize I’ve put myself in this position. But when one literally cannot see through their own tears, there has to be a stopping point, yes? Of course, perhaps, I shouldn’t be listening to sad music on repeat.

It’s been such a great, safe time with my parents. I had worked overtime on trying to stay in Portland, mainly to not inconvenience my parents too much as I have to back and forth to Portland but for some selfish ones as well. I was scared to ride home from Portland to The Dalles alone with my dad without the buffer of my mom, mainly because I was afraid of his anger. Turns out we’ve actually had a lot of fun and laughter along with open conversation. But one cruel offhand remark from my dad has put me in a tailspin of excruciating pain. And that doesn’t even come close to describing it. (And that was just the first comment; there have been many more, some crueler still.)

The trouble with early sobriety is you’re sober. So you have to feel things without the masking effects of drugs or alcohol. And then you have to deal with all the wreckage you’ve made of your life. That can include any number of things: legal, personal, familial, financial. You seriously want to either hide for the next six months or grab something to alter your mind. But you can’t. Because each time you use is worse, the lowers lower than imaginable. The AA Big Book describes it as “incomprehensible demoralization” and that is accurate.

So what did I do? I cried for about forty minutes, filled the trash can with tissue. Then I did a couple of things differently. First, I called someone I had just met the night before from a Twelve-Step program and asked her to meet to talk with me. (Uncomfortable!) I told my mom I needed to go out. When she asked why I was so upset, I told her it didn’t matter, mainly so she wouldn’t feel badly. (Okay, so I’m codependent as well.) But then a light bulb went off in my brain-damaged little head. It really doesn’t matter why I’m upset or why I’m feeling something unpleasant. What matters is how I handle it and what I do with it. This world is going to upset me and make me feel unpleasant, perhaps every day for awhile. Deal with it like a normal, healthy person does. This means without the masking effects of drugs. Wow, insight.

This doesn’t mean it’s easy. My contentious history with my dad goes back many, many years. At this point, I can’t see it changing. All I can do is adjust how I react to him and to others in this world. Maybe I used to know this but somehow forgot it over the years. For now, it’s foremost in my mind.

Again, comments encouraged. They mean so much to me. I have received awesome support. I would also encourage everyone to watch “Anonymous People” which inspired me to share these difficult things with all those I love. I am working on the post to try and describe some of the women I met while going through this process but it’s so hard to capture their humor and raw humanness. They saved my life, emotionally, many, many times. I want the description to truly suit them and their unique character. Thank you all for reading these emotionally exposing posts.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh I just wrote a long comment and it disappeared! I love this one. I am glad you and your dad are talking, so that is huge. Usually our parents know us best, and that means sometimes their comments can really hurt. You are right that it is how you respond that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy! I'm so sorry. I just wrote a long comment for you and it disapeared, too! For now, I will only rewrite this: Thank you for sharing your journey to sobriety.Your posts are really beautiful and compelling, and they create for me a much appreciated connection with you. It is striking how learning about someone's personal struggles told in a open and raw way is so powerful. In the coming year I'm wishing for you strength in every step and daily decision you take to remain sober.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, You may not remember me, we met New Years Day and I've let my self go since the picture. You are for sure on the right track. With 3 years sober, I find my self in life's little messes and your right, Its all about how you handle it. Someone once told me life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you handle it. This Blog is a great tool to use in your recovery, I look forward to seeing you grow. I should have kept a journal or something, I'm looking to write a book soon about my life and my recovery. If you ever need help on the spiritual side I would be interested in showing you how I do it. My God's word be a lamp for your feet. Ps 119:105

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your comments, all of you. Steven, of course I remember you. Thank you so much for reading this and sharing your thoughts on recovery. I was inspired by the movie "Anonymous People" which speaks of trying to remove the stigma of addiction by talking about it. It's hard to bear my souls but it's been so worth it. Hearts to Sandra and Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, thanks to all of the other users for saying that you wrote a long message and then it was lost. I decided to save mine before publishing, and sure enough mine was lost too. Glad I saved it.

    Wendy, I am sorry I didn't read this sooner. I saved it for a moment when I had time. Anyway, I am so sorry for your difficult moments. Life can be cruel sometimes. One thing that eventually got me through was reminding myself that I am good, caring, philanthropic, and a person who wants the best for every person on Earth. When I remember this, I logically come to the conclusion that I could not be the only one who exists. There are more of us out there and right now someone I don't even know is hoping I have peace in my life.

    There are angry people and sad people who will ruin your day, week or even year, but we don't always know their stories. They hurt too and sometimes they don't have better tools and wisdom than you do to deal with their pain. So, they make your day bad and probably feel worse off for it.

    My dad said many hurtful things to me when he was alive, and I've probably said just as many hurtful things back to him now that he's dead. I had been wholeheartedly miserable until last summer. I was backcountry camping far in the mountains with a friend. She was still asleep, and I went out to the river. I had a "conversation" with my dead dad. I forgave him and he forgave me. He told me that I always did have his temper (he used to say that when I was a teenager). We both laughed. I told him that I had a long process to go to get through my pain, but I am now dedicated to working through it and to just let me be as I do. I'll be hurt again, but it's getting better.

    I had no idea how much that would do for me, but I felt this huge wave of relief and euphoria. Some of the PTSD effects I had been experiencing had diminished immediately and dramatically after that, which is so funny, because I hadn't put together that PTSD came from that (I have no memory of certain significant traumas from my childhood). The brain works in mysterious ways, doesn't it?

    Well, I don't know if these words are helpful, but I hope so. I care. I'm here hoping you have peace. If the day gets too bad, go to an animal shelter and play with kittens or remove invasive plants through some neighborhood project. I swear that doing community service while seeing happy little kittens or while getting the physical exertion from planting trees makes me feel so much better every time. It is also a good reminder that I am a good person and so some other people out there must be too.

    ReplyDelete